8/7/08

Story: Spirituality in Peru 2008





Michael Holberton owns a compfortable hostel in Urumbamba located in the Sacred Valley between Cusco and Machu Picchu, Hospedaje Los Jardines. You can also take advantage of his biking expertise through his operation of Moutain Bike Tours. Check out his website: http://www.machawasi.com/

I've been moved spiritually by trips to Peru - thankful for my survival.

The first ten years ago where I became too ill after caning down the Amazon and camping with my private guide, meeting natives in the very small remote river towns, fishing for Perinea. I continued to Southern Peru through Ariquipa until reaching Lake Titicaca where I could no longer move.

An amazing Shaman offered to help and suddenly appeared at my hotel asking if I needed anything. "Yes, I need to return to the US, I am weak and not able to move." He prepared my reservation changes, transported me to the airport as our car rose from the lake bowl where a wisp of wind hit my gut and stopped my symptoms until I safely arrived at home.

He knowingly stopped at a market so I could purchase gifts for my family I worried about bring home and insisted on treating me to a "typical" Peruvian lunch at a small local cafe, never to be forgotten for it's taste, variety of food and encounters with people my spiritual guide introduced me to.

Never completing the original trip to Cusco and Machu Picchu and my amazingly moving experience with the Shaman, the trip's sudden end has bothered me- always wishing to, always needing completion until, on a whim this spring, I decided it was the time.

April, 2008 I surveyed the web, made contacts and decided I must complete my original Peru trip plans. I had family, economic issues to wrestle with but it must be now.

I was soon landing in Lima, yet once again encountering it's deterioration, crime and battles with the earthquake in 1998 and general eroding of the South American economy. Pollution filled the air as I found a taxi to drive me to my Melerose Hostel. Secured by heavy policy patrols of the city, I settled in and made preparations for my flight to Cuzco and trip to Machu Pichu.

Upon arrive in Cuzco, almost 10,000 feet above sea level my altitude sickness ensured, despite all my preparations. Trying to acclimate for a few day, proved unproductive but traveled by rail to my intended Inca destination.

Despite my serious illness, actually three of them, I was able to enjoy Machu Picchu with such a pure joy I'd never imagined. It was Serene, energetic and at the same time - magical. I swung my camera as an outlaw racing ahead of the crowds, getting my best shot, then slowed to an almost stop while sitting on rocks in various levels of the mystical ruins, enjoying the moment, me, the universe - what I had strived for the last ten years, knowing I must.

I then continued, sick as I now became, to Ollantambo and Urantambo to stay in a secluded, caring environment to restore and get strong enough for my US return. I now, a person changed forever.

My days and nights are filled with images of the mist shrouded mountains, the unsmiling but knowing people, a peace I will never forget.

No comments: